Friday, March 1, 2013

"Top secret wifi"

Getting wifi here when traveling is such a struggle. You'd think a train station would have public wifi. Nope! You have to pay and make an account. I don't want that hassle.

I'm currently in route to Lisbon to meet up with a spring break trip my college is taking. I took a bus to San Sebastián and from there I'm a night train to Lisbon. My friend Mary Catherine is going on this trip and she's been my contact person for meeting up with them.

Therefore, when I was in San Sebastián waiting for my train to Lisbon, I found a café nearby and asked the bartender for the code. At first when I asked, he said they didn't have it. When I asked him if he knew where I could find somewhere with wifi, he turned around and started writing something. I thought it was directions; however, it ended up being the code. He gave it to me and said "top secret." So I ordered a coffee and was able to use the wifi to check in and make sure Mary Catherine hadn't sent me anything. So much work!

This trip has been very last minute. I saw a Facebook status that Mary Catherine posted about being excited to go to Portugal. I messaged her and asked her to send me an itinerary of the trip. This was Wednesday. On Thursday (yesterday) I found really cheap train tickets from San Sebastián to Lisbon and it all fell into place after that. I can't stay in the hotel with them, so I'm getting a hostel for one night--which I'm excited and apprehensive about because I've never done one before. The other two nights, I'm sleeping on the train.

So far, the trip has gone by very smoothly. I was afraid there would be a ton of problems, because I didn't plan my trip until yesterday. But so far so good! I'm very excited about it.

Also on Wednesday, I went to this Q&A session about the Pope. I learned more about the Catholic tradition that I didn't really know, such as about the Conclave of cardinals, how the bishops work, and that the Pope is also the Bishop of Rome.

I also heard a new argument about why women can't be priests. It has to do with the idea that priests are the physical representations of Jesus and for whatever reason, Jesus was a man. The priest who said this said that maybe if Jesus was a woman that the priests would be women. I hadn't thought about it that way before. I can't say that I necessarily agree, but I understand now.

Well, this is a hurriedly written blog update for you until I write about Lisbon! I've got a train to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment