Sunday, January 20, 2013

San Sebastián: The Sequel

I had a nice flashback to my marching band days today. Today was La Tamborrada in San Sebastian, so I hopped on a bus and spent the day there. La Tamborrada in San Sebastian consisted of different societies performing all across the city. Essentially, they were drumlines that marched in different locations around the city.

When we first got off the bus, my friend from Scotland, Emily, and I walked around the city trying to find the bands. We realized that we hadn't actually looked for the location before coming. It wasn't too hard to find them, however, because all we had to do was follow the sound of the drums. Yes, we did hear the beating of the drums (catch my reference?).

We saw one of the school groups warming up first. They were rather cute. As we got farther into the city, we saw a couple of the adult groups at different locations. We wondered around until 12:00, which was when the children's parade started. All of the schools around the city were represented in the parade. About halfway through, it started pouring. We stayed for the whole parade, however, and it was quite nice. Some of the kids were crying and others really seemed to be enjoying the rain.


After the parade, we went to a restaurant to dry off some. My entire right arm was soaked because I was holding up my umbrella and some of the water got in my sleeve. We walked around the city some more, but it was just so cold and wet that we decided to come back kind of early.

I'm really glad that I went, but I'm also very happy to be in my warm bed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time; now I see why you need a new umbrella!

    ReplyDelete