Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Hunt for the Red Stationery

Sorry for the corny titles. I come by it honestly in my family (*cough*cough* Grandpa).

I haven't written a blog post in a while because I haven't done anything too noteworthy. However, if it doesn't bore you for me to write more often, let me know! I do enjoy writing, but I want to keep my readers happy. Just let me know! I love feedback.

This week was my first full week of classes. They look like they aren't going to be very difficult, so I'll have plenty of time to experience the Spanish culture.

As a matter of fact, I went out with Carmen practically every day this week which was a lot of fun. On Monday, there was a lot of rain and slush/snow which was pretty gross. I realized that it might be a good idea to get some rain boots so I went with Carmen and Aran to look for some. We went to several shops and I finally found some really cute ones. Just in time too, because it has rained all week. Rainboots were the best purchase I could have made.

On Tuesday, I got some letters from home! It's just so nice to get mail and know that others are thinking of me. I mentioned to Carmen that I'd like to look for stationery and so that's what we did the rest of the week. I kind of felt bad, but I don't think she minded and she also took the opportunity to show me around and explain the bus system. I don't think stationery is a concept in Spain. Oh, well. the things you take for granted.

Since I get all my meals made for me, I've been figuring out how to balance that and being social. Most of my classmates go eat between classes in the little cafe in the building. It's apparently the best on campus. So I usually go with them and buy a coffee. I always love coffee and it's a good way to meet people.

I've bonded with people over the randomest things. I met this guy from England who is as big of a Harry Potter fan as me. We had a good time criticizing the movies and their discrepancies from the books. A German girl and I talked about The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. My love of BBC shows has also come in handy.

My goal is to meet more Spanish people. All the international students I spend time with talk English to me. I've really enjoyed being able to spend so much time with Carmen, because it really forces me to speak Spanish.

Technology is awesome! I started writing this post on my computer yesterday, but I didn't finish so now I'm typing the rest on my Blogger app on my iPhone. Once I find a hotspot, I'll upload it. Why am I typing on my iPhone? Because I'm on my way to San Sebastián again for the La Tamburrada festival. I will explain all about it in my next post.

Last night I went to a pintxos (pinchos) bar with a Scottish girl. The way that came about is kind of funny. The Tamburrada festival started at midnight on Saturday/Sunday (however you think about it) and lasts until the next midnight on Sunday/Monday. Most of the international students went for the night party, because it's pretty crazy. However, the cool parades and stuff happen on Sunday. I decided that I'd rather come on Sunday than stay up all night and miss the cool stuff. I posted on the international student Facebook page and the Scottish girl responded.

It turns out, we were in Spanish together and I had shared some of my birthday cookies with her. We met up last night to hang out and now we're going to the festival together. Again, the wonders of technology.

We met in the old part of town, which is a 30 min walk or 5 min bus ride. Carmen went with me because she didn't want me to walk around the city alone. She's very cautious and knows that I'm still learning about the city. Also, it's pretty obvious that I'm foreign. It was very nice of her to come along and I thanked her profusely.

Well, that's all for now. Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. We love your blogs; keep them coming! It is the first thing I check every morning, and I get really excited when you post a new one! Love you! Gramma

    ReplyDelete