Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shopping in Pamplona

Yesterday, I spoke mostly English. Today, I spoke mostly Spanish--or I tried to.

I didn't have any classes today, so I got up around 9:00am and got ready to meet a friend to go look for phones. She's a girl from Austria, who is a few years older than me. When she was my age (19) she studied in New York for a year to improve her English. So we speak English together, which I find impressive as her native language is German and she's here learning Spanish. I kind of feel like my grandpa, knowing people's back stories and then telling them to others. Must be in the genes.

Anyway, back to going to look for phones. I got ready to go and Carmen had left breakfast out for me with a note saying that she had gone out. I thought that was nice. She had everything ready. She had coffee in the coffee machine (it's kind of like a Keurig because it's a single serve, but different), milk to heat up (everyone heats their milk here, it's interesting) and the food out for me. I know I pay for the food, but I still thought it was nice.

We waited in line for the phones for a long time and the computer system for the phone company we wanted was down. They told us to come back later. Isabella, my friend, had a class so she went to Navarra. I picked up some toiletries in a supermercado and went back to the house for lunch. I got home early so I had some nice down time with the house to myself. I got to catch up with my friend (and sorority big sister) Tyler on Skype since she's in France and our time zone is now the same.

I experienced my first official siesta. Siestas are usually in the 2:00-4:00pm time period where everything closes and everyone goes home to have a nice long meal and then rest a little. It was very nice, Aran came home and we all ate together. I struggled to follow what she and Carmen were talking about most of the time, but I could tell she was complaining about annoying people, which I found kind of funny.

I told Carmen that I'd like to buy a sweater at some point (at least that's what I meant), but she probably took it as I need one right now because we went shopping the center of Pamplona. She took me through lots of shops; however, I'm not very good at just picking one thing out to buy. I liked a lot of different stuff, but there wasn't anything I knew for sure I would wear. I really just want a sweatshirt to wear around the house and I'm really kicking myself for not bringing one. Oh well.

I had a lot of fun shopping with Carmen though. I was able to practice my Spanish, improve my vocabulary, and learn more about the city. I would point at something and say, "Qué es la palabra para...?" and she would tell me what the word for the thing is. I feel bad that she took me everywhere and I didn't buy anything. I seriously almost bought something just so I didn't waste her time, but there really weren't any that I wanted.

Carmen even went with me to pick my phone back up. It was nice to have her there. I know I could have done it myself, but she helped clarify a few things with the salesperson. She also took me to get a bus card so I can use the buses.

On our way bag, she stopped by three different shops to get food for dinner. We go to Walmart or some other big grocery store. Not in Spain. We went to a little supermercado and then a bakery and then a place that sold fruits and vegetables. They don't really eat processed food in Europe which is so awesome. I haven't seen a fat person yet. All that walking and nonprocessed food will do it.

For dinner we had "tortillas con patatas" which is a potato tortilla. Now, when you think tortilla, you think the Mexican bread that you use for quesadillas and burritos. In Spain, a tortilla is like an omelet or quiche. They're usually make with eggs and have other stuff in them. The one we had was, I think, just potatoes. It was kind of like a casserole, but not really. If you can't follow my explanation (which I don't blame you), look up "Spanish tortilla" and you can get an idea.

Tomorrow, I actually start classes. Thursdays are my biggest days so far. I have class from 8:30am-1:00pm. Not looking forward to getting up early, but it will be fun to meet my classmates and maybe see some of the students I met yesterday. A lot of the ones I met aren't here for the Spanish classes besides the basic one so I don't know who I'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your first day of classes goes really well! I am so glad Carmen is being so helpful! Tell her thanks for me! :)

    ReplyDelete